Saturday, February 9, 2008

Assessing Learner Success

Melissa asks: Why are we more concerned with completing assessments successfully, than acquiring the courses goals and objectives?

I think much of it stems back to "TESTING" and how so many people view success on the "A" grade. ACT, SAT, exit exams, scholarships, college entrance it seems as though the grade is the goal, and not the skills/knowledge brought forth from the experiences of their education.

When have I had an experience with this in my life?

My parents always wanted me to do well at school, but I don't remember them pushing me to get straight A's at school. I think the idea of the grade meaning more then the knowledge began at college. The classes I took that I enjoyed I always seemed to do really well in and so I go very good grades. On the other hand the classes that seemed irrelevant to me and my life I struggled through. The problem was by this time in my life, grades had taken a different shape and form. They became the driving force for many students to achieve from the class. My problem was I felt their stress and it transfered to me and I felt the same pressure to get good grades. Interestingly enough, when you search and strive for one you tend to loose the other (grades or knowledge & skills). Can you get both equally, I think it may be possible but we as individuals have practiced one or the other so long it will be hard to change. Being around others who model good skill may be the only real possible way of changing. It seems for me that surrounding my self with good role models is the only way I have been able to develop behaviors that I wish do attain.

Brent

No comments: